The Perfect Day Pack: Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II Review


Anyone who has spent any amount of time in the outdoors quickly realizes that the proper gear can have a major impact on not only the  success of the experience, but the overall enjoyment. That being said, today's material culture attempts to drive outdoorsmen in a never ending quest to obtain the latest model of the latest widget. I've fallen into the marketing trap myself on a number of occasions. Here at Camp Chatter, we have no intentions of pedaling useless products to weigh you down and waste your hard earned money. We do however like to share with you high quality products that have worked for us personally in the field. The Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II has been put through the paces over the past six years. This is my personal review and why I find it to be the perfect day pack.

Attempting to perfect my kit has led me full circle from carrying a day pack, to carrying a large multiday pack, to a minimalist fanny pack, and finally back to the perfect Maxpedition.  The experienced outdoorsman knows that a well-rounded kit will balance weight with capability. The good idea fairy got a hold of me a few years back and I went on ONE hunt carrying a large multiday backpack with endless capabilities for every what if situation I could think of.  The word misery comes to mind. Memories of a cumbersome pack on my shoulders all day while I climbed mile after mile over the Alabama foothills pushed me to the minimalistic extreme for a couple of scouting/hunting trips. This made for a very comfortable hunt as far as ease of movement but I never could come to terms with the limited capability of a fanny pack in the event of an emergency. The areas we stalk-hunt exude extremely rugged terrain and are very remote. Cell service is almost non- existent, roads are scarce, and the closest medical facility is miles and miles away.  The fanny pack just couldn't contain enough emergency essentials in my mind. I'm a fairly experienced outdoorsman with years of recreational experience along with some formal backcountry medical, search and rescue, and orienteering training I received while working as a park ranger within one of our state's parks. I know enough that wilderness areas can be extremely unforgiving. A single slip down a rocky embankment can thrust a hunter into an immediate life or death situation. The equipment a hunter has on his person can make the difference between life or death. 

Maxpedition Falcon II slung on Southwest Texas Hunt
The Maxpedition pack has proven just the right size. It's not large enough to allow stuffing full of what if gear, but it fully supports the essentials with a large main compartment, a midsize compartment, and a zippered pocket on the very front. Within the main compartment, I have no problem fitting emergency first aid, fire kit, dry socks and snivel gear if needed, along with other standard items needed while in the outdoors. The main compartment also contains a zippered pocket that I find useful for storing my wallet, hunting license, keys, and any other items I don't want to accidently fall out when I down the pack in the woods to fish out other items. Zippers to the main compartment travel the full length of the pack which make it easy to reach items in the bottom when the pack is full. The midsize pocket stacked to the front of the main compartment is nylon lined and has several organizational pockets sewn in along with a key keeper. It usually houses maps, a notepad, and other items I like to reach quickly. And to the very front is a zippered pocket that runs the length of the midsize compartment. This pocket is basically flat and serves as a quick go-to pocket for small items that the user might want readily available. The outer pocket has a layer of molle webbing which makes additional attachments a breeze. A compression strap attaches the top of the pack to the front via a buckle. This feature is infinitely useful. I use this strap to fasten everything from heavy winter coats when I warm up after a strenuous climb, to a small stool when I have a destination hunt planned. It makes the pack very versatile. Both sides of the pack have mesh water bottle pockets that are large enough for a Nalgene style bottle. I like this because I prefer water bottles to Camel Bak style bladders, a personal preference. The bottom of the bag sports some elastic shock cord that's useful for lashing down wet rain jackets. It also has a heavy rubber coating that protects the pack from the ground. The shoulder straps have a D ring on each strap along with nylon webbing stitched down the front. This allows for attaching a radio, a compass, or any other item you might want fixed to your pack strap. The shoulder straps can be locked down via a single chest strap that makes the pack very secure when navigating extreme terrain. The pack is polished off with an extra heavy-duty grab handle on top that makes lashing it down in the truck bed carefree.

The construction of the pack is as rugged as they come. This bag has not been gently used. It has served the past six years as a go-to on ranger shifts, countless backcountry hikes, training events, scouting trips, and of course stalk-hunts. I believe most Maxpedition products are treated with a Teflon coating that makes them extremely water-resistant. Mine has weathered some pretty serious rain storms with all my water-sensitive gear staying dry inside. I've had no issues with tearing, loose stitches, or zippers failing. The construction is top-notch.

I'm not in the business of selling products or marketing-- I just enjoy sharing personal experiences on what has worked for me. This pack has proven itself a staple on numerous outdoor adventures. If you're looking for a quality day pack for your hunting or other outdoor needs, you could do a lot worse than the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II. I believe I purchased mine for just over a hundred dollars from an online retailer. This is an exceptional deal for what you are getting. Don't buy the Chinese knockoff  as a hunting partner of mine will attest. His $40 knockoff ripped after only a couple of uses. This pack is money well spent and I have no doubt it would serve you well.


A quick Krylon paint job gave the pack a nice camo pattern.

Comments